TORONTO, June 21, 2018– Today, in celebration of National Indigenous Peoples Day, Hydro One recognized 13 outstanding students selected to receive a Leonard S. (Tony) Mandamin Scholarship. The scholarship, named in recognition of the Honourable Justice Leonard S. (Tony) Mandamin, is granted annually to First Nations, Métis and Inuit post-secondary students. Since 2012, over 60 students have benefitted from over $300,000 in scholarship funding.
“Supporting our communities includes investing in students and empowering them to become future leaders,” said Derek Chum, Vice President of Indigenous Relations, Hydro One.“This scholarship is just one of the ways Hydro One supports and encourages students to stay in school and explore opportunities within the electricity industry. On behalf of every one at Hydro One, we would like to congratulate this year’s recipients.”
The 2018 scholarship recipients are:
- Abigail Green, Science and Environment Degree, Queen’s University
- Ashley Cardinell, Advertising and Marketing Communications Management, Algonquin College
- Chanel Stojanovic, Bachelor of Commerce, University of Ontario Institute of Technology
- Cheyenne Boulrice, Natural Environmental Technologist Program, Sault College
- Gunner Bressette, Math and Computer Science, Wilfrid Laurier University
- Isaac Vanberkel, Electrical Technician, Loyalist College
- Joleigh Hayes, Human Resources, Lakehead University
- Kayla Lindsay, Civil Engineering, Lakehead University
- Matthew Lindsay, Arts & Science - Indigenous Studies, Fanshawe College
- Rachel Lynds, Mechanical Engineering, University of Ontario Institute of Technology
- Richard Peters, Civil Engineering Tech, George Brown College
- Thor Render, Mechanical Engineering, Queen’s University
- Zhaawnong Webb, Electrical Engineering Program, Sir Sandford Fleming College
The scholarships are available to Indigenous students in Ontario who are interested in pursuing careers within the electricity sector. Scholarship recipients are granted a $5,000 financial award and have an opportunity for a paid developmental work term with Hydro One. Interested students can visit https://www.hydroone.com/careers/one-awards to learn more and apply.
About Hydro One Inc.:
Hydro One Inc. is a fully owned subsidiary of Hydro One Limited, Ontario's largest electricity transmission and distribution provider with more than 1.3 million valued customers, $25 billion in assets and 2017 annual revenues of nearly $6 billion. Our team of over 7,400 skilled and dedicated regular and non-regular employees proudly and safely serves suburban, rural and remote communities across Ontario through our 30,000 circuit km of high-voltage transmission and 123,000 circuit km of primary distribution networks. Hydro One is committed to the communities we serve and has been rated as the top utility in Canada for its corporate citizenship, sustainability and diversity initiatives. We are one of only five utility companies in Canada to achieve the Sustainable Electricity Company designation from the Canadian Electricity Association. Hydro One Limited's common shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: H).
For further information: For further information: Hydro One Media Relations 24 hours a day at 1-877-506-7584 (toll-free in Ontario only) or 416-345-6868. Our website is www.HydroOne.com. Follow us on facebook.com/hydrooneofficial, twitter.com/hydroone and instagram.com/hydrooneofficial.